So my hubby has been having a rough time at work with getting servers to work right, programs to allow people to do what they’re supposed to be allowed to do and other crazy, confusing, brilliant IT things that I as a layperson can’t even begin to explain other than, “He’s having a rough time at work”. 😛
What’s a wife to do? Well, remembering that the best way to a man’s heart is through his stomach – make him food of course! Hubby was up way past when he should’ve been sleeping, working from home trying to get stuff straightened out before the next work day, so I stayed up with Baby Boy and put a loaf of my spelt bread in the bread-maker (and set it to be hot and fresh at 6:15am to wake my hubby to a happy smell), and created an oatmeal recipe mimicking the flavors Hubby loves. Cherry Pie!
Considering Hubby is compliment-constipated, I consider it a success that I did get an “it tastes good” before he threw the lid on the pyrex bowl that I had a serving scooped into for him and raced out the door. 😉 Baby Boy ate TWO servings and was supremely happy the whole time, so that says something too. 😉
This was/is so easy because instead of throwing everything in your crock (which you can if you want!), my recipe calls for using a large heat-proof glass bowl INSIDE your crockpot that has several cups of (filtered) water in the bottom. It makes for super easy clean up and the oatmeal doesn’t get crusty around the edges!
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 1/4 c water
- 1 1/4 c organic sprouted rolled oats
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp xylitol
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- (or all of one kind of sugar, totaling 1/4 c. - feel free to mix it up!)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 1 c + organic frozen cherries
- Place 2-3 cups filtered water in the bottom of your crockpot.
- Using a 7 cup Pyrex container, mix all ingredients together and place in the crock.
- Turn slow-cooker on low and set for 4 hours.
- (Mine reverts to 'Warm' setting after the timer goes off).
- Enjoy a healthy, delicious meal 4-8 hours later!