This pregnancy is really throwing me for a loop. Daily I have totally different and new aversions. I can’t use any of my essential oils, because the smells upset my stomach so much. I can’t cook meat, but I dared to the other day. I decided to try to make tacos, got a pack of ground beef out of the freezer, and opened it up to thaw. Surprise, with as bad as ground beef looks (and smells and feels and tastes) to me anymore, this didn’t even look like ground beef. It was more like a really fatty ground sausage. *GAG* I dared to cook it, ignoring it as much as possible, and sure enough it didn’t cook like ground beef. Idk how I ate it, but it was some sort of miracle.
Back to cake! This recipe called for all-purpose flour, which I always use (and adore) white spelt in place of it, but alas, I was out. So I used a combination of Einkorn and sprouted spelt flour, and it turned out really well. I’ll share both options in the recipe. 😉
- 1 1/3 c organic white spelt flour
- (or 2/3 c. einkorn and 2/3 c. sprouted spelt flour)
- 1/2 c maple sugar (coconut sugar or xylitol)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Real Salt
- 1/3 c water (or milk!)
- 1/3 c sour cream
- 1/4 c butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c organic strawberries
- Mix dry ingredients (top four).
- Wisk wet ingredients (remaining minus berries) together well.
- Add to dry and stir just until mixed.
- Add strawberries and fold in.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Make whipped cream and add fresh strawberries or a strawberry sauce. Enjoy!