2 Organic Bananas left going to waste on the counter. Hubby couldn’t keep up with eating them, and I’m allergic to raw bananas (*sob*). What’s a girl to do with two raw organic bananas going to waste on the counter?
During my days working as a medical assistant in Ohio for an old timer doctor, his wife would randomly make yummy snacks for us. One of the things I remember (and adored) was her banana cake. So moist and sweet and the perfect mix of banana, sweetness and spice.
Full of gluten, sugar, veggie oil, powdered sugar. AKA, how can I say this nicely… poison. 😛 I don’t let that stop me. There are alternatives! But so many times I find, there just isn’t one. Yet. 😀
Now there is.
This is a lot like I remember it. Perfect balance of banana, sweetness and spice. Thank goodness gracious I can eat cooked banana. 😉
This has real cream cheese in the frosting, but I will be sharing a way to make healthier cream cheese on a Recipe Wednesday soon. 🙂 Until then, I would just go with an organic cream cheese option. We found it at our local Wegmans.
- 1 1/2 c. Oat Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 c Xylitol (or Maple Sugar)
- 1/2 c Coconut Sugar
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/4 c Coconut Oil melted
- 1/2 c Organic Applesauce
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Organic Bananas smashed
- Preheat convection oven to 325°, or regular oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9 inch round cake pan with coconut oil.
- Mix top ingredients together and set aside.
- Mix second set together (sugars and wet ingredients).
- Add dry and mix just until blended.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 25-35 minutes. It's done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut cake in half after removing from pan to make a two layer, or just swirl a nice, thick coating of the smooth cream cheese frosting (recipe below) all over the top.
- Enjoy with a tall glass of raw milk!
- 1 pk Organic Cream Cheese
- 1/4 c Butter softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tbsp Maple Sugar
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Mix softened cream cheese and butter together. Add vanilla, sugar and syrup and blend well. Swirl onto your favorite cake (banana, carrot, spice, etc!) and enjoy!
I'm sure you could go with all 4 tbsp. (1/4 c. total) of Maple Syrup if you don't have Maple Sugar. It would just be a little creamier and easier to spread. 🙂